Fraud Prevention Advice
Points to remember:
- Consider CIFAS Protective Registration to help prevent ID fraud. Visit www.cifas.org.uk.
- Obtain a credit reference check. This can be obtained through one of the credit reference agencies for as little as £2.
- Consumerline, the Trading Standards website, offers advice. Visit www.consumerline.org. You can also call 028 9025 3900.
- Be wary if asked to transfer money by way of a ‘money transfer service’ such as Western Union (unless the person making the request is personally known to you). Apart from losing your money you may become involved in money laundering.
- Keep your personal details secure. Don’t just bin it. Burn it, or shred it, or you’ll lose it.
- Remember once the fraudster has their victim on the hook they will not stop until they bleed their victim dry.
- If people respond to these scams they will be bombarded with other scams. If you phone them it may be a premium rate call.
Fraudsters rely on their victims being taken in by the tale they tell. They will disguise their identity. The contact addresses they provide will often be fictitious.