Mobile phones are a big attraction for thieves. Mobile phone theft is most likely to happen in bars, nightclubs, restaurants or on public transport, so be cautious.
Let us give you some tips for keeping your mobile safe.
- Keep your phone out of sight when not in use.
- Use your phone’s security lock code, if it has one.
- Record details of your electronic serial number (ESN).
- Get separate insurance.
- Some phones have an IMEI number which is a unique identifier for your phone.
- For your IMEI number key *#06# into your mobile and it will display a 15 digit number.
- Register your mobile with your service provider and have your IMEI number available.
- This will identify you as the legal owner of the mobile phone should it be lost or stolen.
- Properly mark your phone with your postcode and door number.
- Be careful when using your phone in public view.
- Never leave a mobile phone in a vehicle.
- Never ‘walk and talk’ with your phone.
- Keep your phone in a standard case to disguise its make and model.
If your Mobile is Lost or Stolen
Always keep your phone details safe and secure and make sure they are separate from your mobile phone. If your mobile phone has been lost or stolen:
- Report it to us immediately.
- Inform your service provider of the situation.
- Call the new central service provider on 08701 123 123 or your own service provider quoting your IMEI number.
It is a good idea to register your mobile phone and other property. This service is free, easy to use and secure.