Crime Statistics Archive (crime figures dating back to 1968)
PSNI's Statistics Branch collate crime statistics for Northern Ireland in accordance with the National Crime Recording Standard. Our statistics are therefore comparable with those produced by the Home Office or by individual police forces in England and Wales. A user guide to police recorded crime statistics in Northern Ireland is available below. This user guide provides background information on various aspects of crime recording including:
• Definitions relating to crimes, incidents and detections, including a description of the crime types included within the crime, domestic abuse and hate motivation bulletins
• Recording practices, including PSNI data collection, quality and audit processes
• Data timeliness and availability
• The recording of domestic abuse and hate motivated incidents and crimes
• The geographic areas for which crime, domestic abuse and hate motivated incidents and crimes are available (statistics for geographies other than policing area and policing district can be accessed through the Northern Ireland Neighbourhood Information System (NINIS) Internet Site)
• Provisional management information drawn from police recorded crime and anti-social behaviour figures, published at street level each month, is available through the police crime mapping website.
User guide (PDF, 559.1 KB) (reviewed August 2014)
Comments and feedback from users have been compiled and are available through the link below, together with the response and any action required.
Monthly Update to 31 July 2014, published 28 August 2014
bulletin (PDF, 257.1 KB) accompanying excel spreadsheet (MS Excel, 10.0 MB)
The next monthly update covering the 12 months to the end of August 2014 will be published on 25 September 2014.
Previous monthly updates for 2014/15 are available in the Crime Statistics archive. Each monthly bulletin includes current financial year figures which are provisional and subject to slight revision until the finalised figures for the full financial year are published. For this reason the totals for each month, crime type, policing district/area and age/gender in previously published monthly bulletins will always be superseded by the latest monthly update.
On 3 July 2014 PSNI published a bulletin providing a comprehensive series of police recorded crime data for each financial year from 1998/99 to 2013/14, allowing the user to monitor long term crime trends. Information in this bulletin is based on a revised crime classification which was introduced in April 2013. While there have been changes at the level of individual classifications, overall crime figures at a Northern Ireland level, as well as by policing district and policing area, do not differ from totals previously published. All previously published bulletins will remain available in the Crime Statistics archive.
Trends in Police Recorded Crime in Northern Ireland 1998/99 to 2013/14, published 3 July 2014
bulletin (PDF, 981.0 KB) accompanying excel spreadsheet (tables) (MS Excel, 267.0 KB)
Visit the Crime Statistics Archive to view annual crime statistics published in previous years.