It is important to remember not to give out information about yourself to strangers. Often we do this without thinking.
General Telephone Advice
- When you pick up, never give out your number. It is your personal identity – be careful what you do with it.
- If the caller claims to have a wrong number, do not tell them what your number is – get them to repeat the number they require.
- Do not reveal any information about yourself to a stranger.
- Never say you are alone in the house.
Abusive or Threatening Calls
These can be extremely upsetting but try not to panic. Follow our simple advice and keep yourself safe.
- Put the receiver down and walk away.
- Come back a few minutes later and replace the receiver – do not listen to see if the caller is still there.
- Do not speak. Tell the police and the operator, if the calls continue.
- Keep a record of the date, time and content of each phone call to help us trace the caller.