“Empowering, educating and encouraging young people and their families to be safe in their virtual world”.
This will be achieved by:
Empowering young people by
- Ensuring that they know who the Public Protection Branch are and how we keep people safe.
- Ensuring that they are aware of the pressures they will face as teenagers both in their virtual and real worlds.
- Ensure that they are aware it’s alright to say ‘No’.
- Ensuring that they are aware of risky behaviours and know how to keep themselves and each other safe.
Educating young people by
- Ensuring sound legislative knowledge around issues such as ‘sexting’, age of consent etc.
- Ensuring they know of the immediate and longer term consequences of becoming involved in any type of sexual offending not only as victims, but also as perpetrators.
- Ensuring they are aware of the problems associated with excessive use of on-line pornography.
Encouraging young people by
- Acknowledging the Public Protection Branch can help them.
- Ensuring they think about their on-line reputation.
- Promoting real world relationships as opposed to virtual ones.