Your personal safety is of utmost importance and hopefully you will never be a victim of crime. However, it is always worth thinking about how you would act in different situation and what you can do to protect yourself.
Even though the chances of something happening are quite slim some people still feel nervous about using buses or taxis. By following our advice you can confidently use any type of public transportor taxis.
Taxis are a great, safe way to get home after a night out. However, you should always check that your taxi is genuine or only ever order it from a company you trust. If you are alone, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside your home.
- If you have any doubts then do not get in the taxi.
- Taxi drivers must carry identification - check it before you get in.
- Legal taxis must display a special number plate.
- If you feel uneasy, ask to be let out in a well-lit area where there are plenty of people.
People usually feel safest when they are in groups and brightly lit places. However, when you travel by public transport, you need to be extra cautious especially if alone. It is always good to carry a mobile phone in case you need to call for help and do not forget that the driver is there to help too.
- Avoid isolated bus stops at night.
- Plan your route and, if possible, tell your friends.
- Move away if someone makes you feel uncomfortable.