Information about loads and requirements are specified below.
- If a load is between 2.9 metres and 3.66 metres in width and the overall length of the load does not exceed 27.4 metres this vehicle / load may move unescorted.
- If a load is between 3.66 metres and 4.3 metres in width and the overall length does not exceed 27.4 metres this vehicle / load may move, provided that the haulier supplies an escort vehicle. (This requirement is made in the interest of road safety.)
- If a load exceeds 4.3 metres in width or 27.4 metres in length this vehicle / load may be provided with a police escort, subject to operational constraints and other factors.
- If a load has a gross vehicle weight of 80 tonnes or more the 2 day notice rule applies irrespective of dimensions.
- The notifiable lengths start at 18.65 metres under Construction and Use and 18.3 metres under Special Types Legislation.
- Where the width of any vehicle or load exceeds 3.50 metres or the notifiable lengths, as above, an attendant, in addition to the driver,is required.
You can find the legislation for Northern Ireland in the following locations:
- Motor Vehicles (Construction and use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999
- Road Traffic and Vehicles Motor Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) Order (Northern Ireland) 1997