We want you to stay safe while enjoying the summer months. No matter whether you are at home, out for a day trip or enjoying a break away, it is important that you take a moment to ensure you, your family and your property are secure.
It only takes a thief a few minutes to enter your home and take your belongings. Here are some of our top tips to help keep your home secure:
- Before your leave your home ensure all external doors and windows are secure and locked.
- Ensure your garage doors are shut and locked.
- Do not leave valuable items including bicycles or toys sitting around outside your house.
- If you are going away, ask a neighbour to leave your bins out. You can also make your home look occupied by leaving a light on a timer.
- Always look out for your neighbours. If you see someone acting suspiciously note down a description and car registration details and contact police immediately.
- Consider installing CCTV that you can monitor remotely.
- Consider installing an approved home alarm system and use it.
- Lock Up – Always close doors, windows and any skylights when you leave your caravan, even if it’s for a short time. Always lock your caravan and take the keys with you.
- Don’t leave valuables on display – Take all your valuable with you when you leave your caravan.
- Leave curtains open – By doing this, possible intruders can see there are no valuables lying about.
- Use an alarm and security markings – Have a reliable alarm fitted and mark valuable possessions such as laptops and televisions with a UV marker. This helps police identify recovered property.
- Get to know your neighbours – Look out for your neighbour’s caravans when they are vacant. Don’t be afraid to report anything suspicious to the site manager or the Police Service of Northern Ireland straight away.Find out if there is a Neighbourhood Watch or Nominated Neighbour scheme in your area.
We are all glad to be getting out and about much more and enjoying the wonderful beauty spots of Northern Ireland. Please remember to be mindful of crime prevention for your car as thieves can strike at any time and it only takes them a few seconds to steal your belongings.
We have outlined some useful tips below:
- Don’t leave items on display. Mobile phones, electronic equipment, money, sunglasses, tools, clothing and bags should be removed from the car or placed in the boot.
- When your vehicle is not in use, whether at home or out and about, keep your vehicle keys and fobs in a RFID security pouch. Keep these out of sight and stored securely.
- Always lock and close the windows of your vehicle when unattended.
- Always listen out for the sound of your doors locking, lights flashing and mirrors closing. If you don’t hear or see this, be sure to double check!
- If you have a garage, use it and lock it. Think about using an alarm for your garage and gates.
We know that lots of people will be heading off to their caravan to enjoy long weekends and holidays with family and friends. Please remember the following tips to ensure that your caravan is as secure as possible.
Over July and August further advice will be shared on the Police Service of Northern Ireland social media channels so keep an eye out to ensure you are as informed as possible on Facebook - @PoliceServiceNI, Instagram - @policeservice.ni and Twitter - @PoliceServiceNI.