September 29, 2022 | Cyber Crime
Reference: FOI - 2022 - 01483
I am a reporter for the Telegraph. I am writing to request information under the Freedom of Information Act. I would like to know:
The number of reported cases of fraud linked to dating apps from January 1, 2017, until the most recent date figures are available.
During the same period, the number of reported cases of blackmail in which users have been threatened with having explicit photos published if they do not perform some kind of sexual favour.
- In both cases, I would like a breakdown of:
• the specific app used (such as Tinder, Grindr, or Hinge)
• the nature of the fraud or blackmail
• the sexes/ages of the victims
• the dates of the reports
• what the result of the report was