The Police Service of Northern Ireland statistics on injury road traffic collisions are the main source of information used in Northern Ireland for monitoring and tracking trends on the number of persons killed, seriously and slightly injured as a result of collisions on our roads.
The information is used widely within the PSNI and by other partner Agencies, to ensure that emerging problems are quickly identified and can be addressed through a combination of approaches including enforcement (PSNI), education (Road Safety through the Department for Infrastructure) or by engineering (Transport NI).
The figures on injury collisions collated by the PSNI for Northern Ireland are used alongside those for England, Scotland and Wales, to give the total figures of all such collisions for the UK. The statistics are also widely used by other NI government departments as well as in the media and academia.
Daily Fatal Update
- 2021 road traffic fatalities daily update (Excel, 30 KB)
- 2021 road traffic fatalities daily update (Open document spreadsheet, 23 KB)
- 2020 fatal casualties (Excel, 32 KB)
Monthly update, period ending 31 May 2021 (published 24 September 2021)
Notification of delay
There is usually a two month lag between the end of the reporting period and publication of the RTC statistics. Due to very limited resources in this team at present, this is currently four months. The situation will be kept under review and we will endeavour to return to the regular publication schedule as soon as possible. All available planned publication dates can be found in our publication schedule at https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/Statistics/.
2020/21 Financial Year Statistics, published on 25 June 2021
- 2020/21 Financial Year Road Traffic Collision Statistics (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- 2020/21 spreadsheet of tables (Excel, 49 KB)
- 2020/21 spreadsheet of tables (Open document spreadsheet, 29 KB)
2020 Calendar Year Statistics, published on 26 March 2021
- 2020 Key Statistics Report (PDF, 1,1 MB)
- 2020 statistics spreadsheet of tables (Excel, 142 KB)
- 2020 statistics spreadsheet of tables (Open document spreadsheet, 31 KB)
2020 Detailed Trends Report, published 18 June 2021
- Detailed Trends bulletin (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- Accompanying spreadsheet (Excel, 226 KB)
- Accompanying spreadsheet (Open Document, 89 KB)
- Supplementary Tables spreadsheet (Excel, 66 KB)
- Supplementary Tables spreadsheet (Open Document, 50 KB)
Road Traffic Collisions - Headline Statistics, published on 26 March 2021
- Road Traffic Fatalities on Northern Ireland Roads since 1931 (Excel, 31 KB)
- Casualty Summary since 1931 (Excel, 35 KB)
- Casualties by road user type and severity 2007-2020 (Excel, 33 KB)
- Child casualties by road user type and severity 2007-2020 (Excel, 33 KB)
- Child Casualty Summary 1949 - 2020 (Excel, 34 KB)
- Road Traffic Collisions by causation factor and severity 2007-2020 (Excel, 33 KB)