UPDATE: Murder of Mark Gourley – Glengormley

UPDATE: Murder of Mark Gourley – Glengormley

A 50 year old man arrested by detectives from Serious Crime Branch investigating the murder of Mark Gourley who went missing from Glengormley in 2009 has been released unconditionally.

Police continue to appeal for information.

Detective Inspector Darren McCartney said: “I am appealing to anyone who may have information about Mark’s disappearance or who may have seen Mark on or after 7 March 2009 to contact police.

“Previous appeals for information did generate reports of sightings but the last definite sighting of Mark was at 2.30pm on 7 March 2009 in the Burney’s Lane area of Glengormley. Mark did not have a mobile phone or a significant amount of money with him when he disappeared.”

Although Mark was last seen in the Glengormley area, he was from the Castlemara area of Carrickfergus and he may have returned to that area on 7 March 2009. Police are asking for anyone who may have noticed vehicles or individuals acting suspiciously in either the Burney’s Lane area of Glengormley or in the Castlemara area of Carrickfergus around 7 March 2009 to contact police on the non-emergency number 101.

DI McCartney said: “I believe there are people in these communities who have knowledge of what happened to Mark. Today’s police activity is proof that police are continuing to investigate what happened to him. Additionally, people may have heard rumours about what happened to Mark. I would appeal to them to share this information with police. If anyone has information about him, I would ask them to examine their conscience and come forward to police. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers by telephoning 0800 555 111.”

Mark was 5ft 9ins tall, weighing between 10-11 stone and described as ‘well-built’. Mark had short dirty fair cropped hair and an eyebrow bolt in his right eyebrow. He was wearing a black zipped jacket with a grey motif on the back of the shoulders, dark Umbro tracksuit bottoms, black trainers and may have been wearing a blue Glasgow Rangers woollen hat.

Keeping People Safe