Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
- A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
- 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide.
- Bully-related suicide can be connected to any type of bullying, including physical bullying, emotional bullying, cyberbullying, and sexting, or circulating suggestive or nude photos or messages about a person.
- In several cases where bullying victims killed themselves, bullies had told the teen that he or she should kill him or herself or that the world would be better without them. Others who hear these types of statements should be quick to stop them and explain to the victim that the bully is wrong.
Bullying and suicide-related behaviour are both complex public health problems. Circumstances that can affect a person’s vulnerability to either or both of these behaviours exist at a variety of levels of in influence—individual, family, community, and society. These include:
- emotional distress
- exposure to violence
- family conflict
- relationship problems
- lack of connectedness to school/sense of supportive school environment
- alcohol and drug use
- physical disabilities/learning differences
- lack of access to resources/support.
Some of the warning signs of suicide can include:
- Showing signs of depression, like ongoing sadness, withdrawal from others, losing interest in favourite activities, or trouble sleeping or eating
- Talking about or showing an interest in death or dying
- Engaging in dangerous or harmful activities, including reckless behaviour, substance abuse, or self injury
- Giving away favourite possessions and saying goodbye to people
- Saying or expressing that they can’t handle things anymore
- Making comments that things would be better without them
If you know someone who shows these traits then it's very important that you go and talk to them. A simple chat can make a huge difference, help that person to see their true value and show them that life can be so much better. After, go to a teacher or to their parents and inform them of your concerns.
1. There is 1 suicide for every 25 attempted suicides.
2. 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
3. Suicide affects at least 6 other people