The Police Service Northern Ireland’s Environmental Policy will drive and implement our environmental management system so that we can maintain and improve our environmental performance.
It is appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental impacts of our activities.
It is required that our Estate Managing Contractor will comply with the requirements of BS EN ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management System and that all our business partners, suppliers and stakeholders are aware of our policy and act accordingly.
Our environmental aim is to:
- Continually improve and reduce our environmental impact, whilst meeting the needs of the community and making Northern Ireland a safer place.
- We will ensure compliance with environmental legislation and regulations, the terms of authorisations, consents, licences and local agreements.
- We will prevent pollution, reduce waste and minimise as far as practicable our detrimental impacts.
- Ensure our environmental aim is consistent with that of local and national government, with the overall goal to continually improving on environmental performance and meet goals, objectives and targets of our sustainability strategy.
We are committed to:
- Establishing and maintaining an environmental management system generating environmental care within individuals and integrating environmental and business decisions.
- Identifying the environmental aspects and impacts of policing operations, our built environment, transport, consumption and waste. We will manage these impacts by: Training and equipping our staff to recognise and manage these impacts.
- Operating and maintaining transport, buildings, plant and equipment correctly.
- Being thoroughly prepared to respond to environmental incidents.
- Working openly with regulators, local communities, other interested parties.
- Optimising efficiency making maximum use of the resources available.
- Minimising waste production and use of consumables.
- Demanding standards of environmental performance from our suppliers, contractors and business partners which are consistent with those we set ourselves.
- Setting, auditing, reviewing and resetting environmental targets.
- Establishing an environmental implementation strategy which recognises SOGE targets and sets challenging SMART objectives.
The environmental policy is a key element in the sustainability strategy and we are committed to its implementation through out the organisation all levels. Its aim is to protect and reduce our environmental impact for the benefit of all.