Skip to main content

Experiencing a hit and run accident can be distressing, but try to stay calm and take immediate action. 

What to do after a hit and run accident and nobody was injured

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident and nobody was injured but the other party did not stop, prioritise your safety and that of others involved. If possible, move to a safe location.

Report to police if there is damage to your vehicle

If there is damage to your vehicle as a result of the accident then you need to report the matter to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours (this does not mean you have 24 hours to report the accident - you must report as soon as possible). If there's been a collision, no injuries occurred but a vehicle drove off without exchanging details, you can phone police on 101 or complete our online reporting form.

If you managed to make a note of the registration of the offending vehicle the police will make enquiries to trace and speak to the driver. The process of tracing and speaking to the driver of the other vehicle can take some time.

If you did not manage to note down the registration of the vehicle or it occurred in an area where it is unlikely to have CCTV coverage then you can still report the accident to the police. However, it is unlikely that there will be any further enquiries that can be made. 

If the vehicle had an identifying mark on it, a company logo for example, then it may be that the vehicle driver can be traced and spoken to.

The police will aim to prosecute in most cases where there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction however, each case is judged on its own merits. A conviction for one of these offences could lead to imprisonment and/or a substantial fine.

Emotional shock after a car accident

Even in the most minor collisions, the impact of shock can can affect you hours later. It can be helpful to be in the company of family or friends after a collision to ensure your well-being and if there is any doubt, or you begin to feel unwell please seek medical advice. 

Reporting other road traffic collisions

If you have been involved in an incident on the roads, or think you might have witnessed an offence, find out how to report it to police.

When should I call 999?

If there has been a collision and someone has suffered a serious injury and requires immediate medical attention, please call 999.

Report a road traffic collision