The Police Service of Northern Ireland is committed to mainstream equality, diversity and good relations into all its Employment Practices, Service Delivery Processes and Procurement Exercises.
Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 requires us, in carrying out our functions and duties, to have due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity:
- between persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation
- between men and women generally
- between persons with a disability and persons without
- between persons with dependants and persons without.
In addition, the Act also requires that we have regard to the desirability of promoting good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland's Equality Scheme 2023-2028 outlines how we will meet our obligations in relation to:
- Section 75 of the NI Act 1998;
- Section 48 of the Police Act 2000;
- Section 49A and B of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (as amended) (Disability Action Plan), which has been approved by the Equality Commission.
We would like to thank all our consultees whose feedback helped shape the development of this strategy and we look forward to working with you in overseeing the successful delivery of it.