Skip to main content

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) encompasses various forms of disruptive conduct, including:

  • Excessive noise
  • Graffiti
  • Littering
  • Neighbour disputes

While these behaviour may not be classified as criminal offences, they can significantly impact the quality of life for individuals and communities. If you encounter any instances of anti-social behaviour, it is crucial to report them promptly to prevent the situation from escalating.

Who deals with anti-social behaviour?

Local councils, the Housing Executive, housing associations, private landlords and police are responsible for dealing with different types of anti-social behaviour.

Learn who to contact regarding specific types of non-criminal anti-social behaviour on NI Direct's website.

Police officer

What type of anti-social behaviour should I report to police?

Some anti-social behaviour is criminal activity. You should contact us to report:

  • Motoring offences
  • Drunken and rowdy behaviour in a public place
  • Criminal damage
  • Assaults
  • Theft
  • Intimidation
  • Harassment
  • Drug use or drug dealing
  • Hate crime

Graffiti in Belfast city centre

Watch the video below to see how officers are tackling graffiti in Belfast city centre.

Graffiti in Belfast city centre

Anti-social behaviour in West Belfast

Working closely with partners in the Colin Community Safety Support Forum and Colin Neighbourhood Partnership, officers in west Belfast are taking proactive steps to tackle anti-social behaviour such as the use of scrambler and dirt bikes in the community. They've made significant progress, making several arrests - the team continue to pursue individuals who are using these vehicles illegally. 

Anti-social behaviour in West Belfast

Report anti-social behaviour

In previous years we have dealt with broken windows, graffiti and other incidents such as burglaries at schools.

If you spot something that you think is suspicious, or you are concerned about anti-social behaviour in your area, please report it to us via our online reporting form or by calling 101

If it is an emergency, always dial 999.

Photo of police officer

Anti-social behaviour in Ards and North Down

Underage drinking, drugs, theft, and criminal damage incidents impact everyone who wants to enjoy our outdoor spaces. Watch the video below to see how officers are tackling anti-social behaviour at our local beaches in Ards and North Down.

Anti-social behaviour in Ards and North Down