Skip to main content

The use of motorised vehicles such as scramblers, go-peds, buzz boards, quads and mini-motos as a leisure activity can be both exciting and fun, however, as with most outdoor activities the use of these vehicles can in some circumstances be dangerous.

E-Scooter and the Law

E-scooters, scramblers, go-peds, buzz boards, quads and mini-motos do not generally comply with construction and use legislation and vehicle standards so are therefore, restricted to off- road use only.

If used on the road the rider would require the following:

  • A driving licence from age 16 (minimum Category AM).
  • At least third party insurance for road use.
  • Have the vehicle registered with the DVLNI and display a number plate.
  • Have a Vehicle Excise Licence when used on the road.
  • Have obligatory lamps, reflectors and rear markings fitted.
  • Fulfil all requirements in accordance with the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1999.
  • A protective helmet in some cases (although the wearing of a helmet in all situations is recommended for personal safety).

Quad Bikes - The Rules

Quad bikes must be approved, registered, taxed and have an MOT (see below) to be used on the road.
However most quad bikes cannot be used on the road because they do not meet road safety standards.

Quad Bikes

  • pdf
  • 2.18 MB