Skip to main content

I have been in a road traffic accident, nobody was injured but the other party did not stop, do I need to report it to the police?

Damage only Hit and Run Road Traffic Collision

If there is damage to your vehicle as a result of the accident then you need to report the matter to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours (this does not mean you have 24 hours to report the accident - you must report as soon as possible). If you managed to make a note of the registration of the offending vehicle the police will make enquiries to trace and speak to the driver. The process of tracing and speaking to the driver of the other vehicle can take some time.

If you did not manage to note down the registration of the vehicle or it occurred in an area where it is unlikely to have CCTV coverage then you can still report the accident to the police. However, it is unlikely that there will be any further enquiries that can be made. 

If the vehicle had an identifying mark on it, a company logo for example, then it may be that the vehicle driver can be traced and spoken to.

The police will aim to prosecute in most cases where there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction however, each case is judged on its own merits. A conviction for one of these offences could lead to imprisonment and/or a substantial fine.