The use of motorised vehicles such as scramblers, go-peds, buzz boards, quads and mini-motos as a leisure activity can be both exciting and fun, however, as with most outdoor activities the use of these vehicles can in some circumstances be dangerous.
E-Bikes: For information on E-Bikes visit https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/electric-bikes-electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles .
Certain scramblers, go-peds, buzz boards, quads and mini-motos do not comply with construction and use legislation and vehicle standards so are therefore, restricted to off- road use only.
If used on the road the rider would require the following:
- A driving licence from age 16 (minimum Category AM).
- At least third party insurance for road use.
- Have the vehicle registered with the DVLNI and display a number plate.
- Have a Vehicle Excise Licence when used on the road.
- Have obligatory lamps, reflectors and rear markings fitted.
- Fulfil all requirements in accordance with the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1999.
- A protective helmet in some cases (although the wearing of a helmet in all situations is recommended for personal safety).
Please download our Ridesafe leaflet for further information on how to use and enjoy these types of vehicle safely.